Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to take a break during an exchange year abroad ?

Students in an exchange year abroad may seamlessly continue their Dual Diploma Program. They should notify their American teacher in case of time zone change for the live sessions. The Dual Diploma Program doesn’t allow students to take a break during their gap year and return to the program the following year.

How much does the Dual Diploma Academica program cost?

The cost of the program varies according to two criteria:

  • The number of years in the program (4, 3, or 2 years)
  • The institution in which the student is enrolled (partner institution or not)

The program is billed on a semester basis, and students may withdraw from the program at the end of each semester at no charge.

To find out the fees of a partner school, contact the school concerned.

To find out the fees for individual students (not enrolled in a partner school), please contact us via this form.

Can I pay in installments?

Tuition fees are billed at the beginning of each semester.

Payment is therefore spread out in several installments (8 semesters for the 4-year program, 6 semesters for the 3-year program, 4 semesters for the 2-year program).

However, for partner institutions, invoicing can sometimes be monthly, depending on the institution.

What payment methods are accepted?

If your child attends a partner school, you will be billed by the school. Please contact the school to find out which payment methods are accepted.

If your child does not attend a partner school, you will be billed directly by the United States.

You can pay by credit card or bank transfer.

Are we committed to the entire program from the moment we decide to enroll our child?

During the first 5 days of each semester, the student can discover the content, the methods and meet the teacher. If you decide that this program is not for your child, you must notify the Program Director or Academica France in writing. No billing will be due.

Then the financial commitment is semesterly: any student can withdraw at the end of each semester by signing a form from the parents, thus stopping future invoicing.

Please note : a student who voluntarily withdraws from the program will not be able to reapply the following year, nor will he/she be able to keep the benefit of the semester(s) completed.

Are there many dropouts or exclusions during the program?

Since 2016, in all years, just over 10% of students have left the program voluntarily or by Academica International Studies’ decision.

This is a reflection of our students’ commitment and enthusiasm for the program.

What percentage of students drop out of the program in the first semester?

Only 5% of students leave the program in the first semester.

What is the grade level required to qualify for the High School Diploma?

To obtain the High School Diploma, students must obtain good grades in their French schooling, as these allow them to validate 18 of the 24 required credits.

Students wishing to enroll in this program must therefore be motivated and independent.

While there is no minimum grade point average required to enter the Dual Diploma Academica program, we recommend that students have at least a grade point average of approximately 12/20 to ensure that they will be able to complete their dual curriculum without major difficulties. An average of less than 6 in a major subject of the French curriculum in the Terminale class is eliminatory.

What happens if we can’t find a report card?

If any of the report cards for grades 8 through 12 are missing, the student will not be able to graduate with the High School Diploma. It is therefore imperative that all report cards be in your possession without exception.

My child is following his classes at home. How will his 18 French credits be validated?

Please contact us before confirming your child’s enrollment by sending us all documents related to his/her schooling: reports from the inspector of the Académie, CNED grades if he/she has followed a distance learning program, report cards if he/she has already attended a school so that we can confirm with the United States if your child will be able to obtain his/her High School Diploma.

Why do we have to send you the report cards for grades 8 through 12?

Report cards from grades 8 through 12 are sent to the United States to validate the 18 out of 24 credits required for the High School Diploma. The average grade point average for each grade is taken into account.

Some of the credits to be validated do not necessarily appear on the French Baccalaureate exam (math or art, for example). How do you validate these credits in this case?

We know that not all students take the same exams at the Baccalauréat, depending on their choice of studies. However, most of the credits are validated during the years prior to Terminale. This is why report cards from 8th to 12th grade are necessary.

Depending on the case, we may ask you for your 7th-grade report cards. For example, in math, 4 credits are required to obtain the High School Diploma. If your child did not take a math option in 1st grade, we will use his/her report cards from 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grade to validate his/her 4 math credits.

If you are unsure of what credits your child will be taking in France, please contact us via this form.

Are there elimination grades by subject?

Grading is based on continuous assessment. In order to receive their High School Diploma, students must obtain a minimum of 70% in each of their credits (i.e. in each subject).

One of the great surprises for our students is that they have the right to make mistakes.
If a student’s grade on an assignment is not satisfactory, he or she can ask the teacher to redo the assignment (Retry) or complete it with an additional assignment (Extra-Credit). This is an opportunity to go deeper into the work and improve the grade.

What does a GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale mean?

We use the rating system established by the French Embassy in Washington DC. The American rating system may seem complicated for French people. It is for the Americans themselves!

Each letter grade is equivalent to a value expressed in points. When calculating the Overall Grade Point Average, the following correspondence system is used:

Notation Grade Percentage of success Points awarded
A (90-100%) 4.00
B (80-89%) 3.00
C (70-79%) 2.00
D (60-69%) 1.00
F (0-59%) 0.00

Thus, a GPA of 2.0 and a GPA of 4.0 corresponds to a minimum of 18/20.

For a better understanding of the calculation of the GPA, you may visit the following link (in French):

You can also use the calculation tool of the link below:

I studied in the United States and I will finish high school in France, can I validate my American credits?

Credits earned in the U.S. will remain valid, however, you will still need to complete and validate 6 credits with Academica International Studies to earn your High School Diploma, which will be your degree-granting institution.

If I start the Dual Diploma program in France and continue it in a high school in the United States, will my credits earned in France be validated in the United States?

Similarly, credits earned in France with Academica International Studies will remain valid, but you will need to take and validate a minimum of 6 credits at your new high school in order to graduate.

Depending on your situation, it may be easier to complete your program with Academica International Studies or in the US.

I am returning from a French-American high school. In principle, I should have graduated at the end of 11th grade in the United States, but I am returning to France to do my 11th-grade year. Can I get my High School Diploma at the end of the year?

No, because you have to validate 6 credits with Academica International Studies, which is the High School you will graduate with. You will be able to obtain your High School Diploma at the end of your senior year.

Is the degree recognized in the United States?

The diploma issued at the end of the program is the same as that issued to American high school students. It is therefore recognized in the United States, in all American states.

Our schools are accredited at the state and federal levels: the State of Florida and its Department of Education, the Federal Department of Education, the National Blue Ribbon School, AdvancED, and the Association of Colleges and Schools (Advanced SACS).

Which higher education institutions in France recognize the High School Diploma?

The recruitment procedures for higher education institutions in France change very regularly.

Every year, we work to enhance the value of the diploma with these institutions, so that the High School Diploma can at least enhance the application of our students, dispense with the English test, and at best allow students to apply through the international route.

To help us in this mission, you can send us the list of your school’s wishes to

To find out which schools have accepted our former students, we invite you to consult the following page of our website.

What is the difference between the IFB (ex OIB), IB, and Dual Diploma?

The IFB (International French Baccalaureat ex OIB Option Internationale du Baccalauréat) is an option integrated into the general track, which is only prepared in schools offering an international section.

Students take all the tests corresponding to their educational track, except for modern language 1 and history-geography, which are subject to additional hours and specific written and oral tests.

The baccalaureate diploma issued to the student bears the indication of the international option and the section in which the student was enrolled.

For more information:

The IB (International Baccalaureate)  is a two-year international education program that begins in 11th grade and prepares students for university. The program is offered in authorized schools called IB World Schools. The program offers a global approach to education and is based on the principles of the International Baccalaureate, which is recognized to varying degrees around the world. It offers a holistic approach to teaching and learning with a particular focus on developing intercultural awareness. The IB can be taught in English, French, or Spanish. It is not a program focused on English as the primary language of instruction.

The curriculum consists of a core curriculum and six subject groups.

The core curriculum consists of three components: the Theory of Knowledge (ToK), the 4000-word dissertation, and the Creativity, Action, Service (CAS) program, in which students complete a project that addresses these three concepts.

The six subject groups are Language and Literature Studies, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Societies, Science, Mathematics, and the Arts.

For more information:

The Dual Diploma is a program that lasts a maximum of 4 years and allows students to obtain a dual diploma: the French Baccalaureate and the American High School Diploma (identical to the one that American students receive in the United States). This program allows students to discover an educational system with an innovative approach, which gives them access to a different culture and way of thinking. The program offers a true immersion into the culture of the United States through personal interaction with teachers, unique speakers, and students from other countries. All instruction is in English.

The American program is delivered entirely digitally by a school based in Florida. This allows students to study at their own pace from home outside of class time in France, while still having deadlines to meet. At the end of the program, they obtain two separate diplomas, both of which are accredited by their respective authorities in France and the United States.

Official transcripts from the French school system are used to validate 18 of the 24 credits for the High School Diploma. Students take the additional 6 credits with Academica International Studies.

Their French education program is enriched by the American program, which contains courses not offered in French high schools, such as psychology, photography, and personal life management skills.

For more information :

My child is bilingual and can be excused from English classes at his French school. Can he get his High School Diploma without taking English in high school?

To obtain the High School Diploma, 4 English credits are required. 2 must be validated in France, and 2 are validated by Academica International Studies.

It is therefore mandatory that the student be able to prove two years of English in high school through grades and evaluations on his or her report card, otherwise, he or she will not be able to validate the obtaining of the High School Diploma.

My child wishes to study in the USA after his French baccalaureate. Can you advise him on his project?

At the beginning of their 10th grade, all of our students are invited to a College Counseling session that will guide them in their personal projects.

To consider studying in the United States, it is best to work on your plans as early as possible. Many universities close their applications as early as mid-December and time flies!

At the same time, we can also help them with the practical aspects of their application.

Finally, several documents are made available on the course platform. Our students can find information on tests and American universities.

Which test should I choose between the SAT and the ACT to apply to American universities?

Some universities require the ACT while others accept the SAT or ACT. We recommend that you check with each university for their specific requirements for these tests.

Some foreign universities require applicants to have taken an Advanced Placement course. Are Dual Diploma courses Advanced Placement courses?

Dual Diploma courses are not considered Advanced Placement courses. We currently only offer Honors courses in US Government and Economics. AP classes can be taken in addition to the core curriculum.

How do I showcase the Dual Diploma program on Parcoursup?

In the “My schooling” section of the Parcoursup application, for each school year, the applicant will find a space entitled “Elements related to my schooling”.

In this free space, they can talk about their double degree and highlight the strengths that it brings to their profile in relation to the institutions they wish to join.

In the “My activities” section, there is a space entitled “Opening to the world”.

In this free space, he/she can also talk about his/her interest in American culture and add to what he/she has indicated in the “My schooling” section, emphasizing aspects of his or her personality and interests.

Finally, you may wish to ask your homeroom teacher to write an assessment of your double-degree program in your Avenir file.

What is the average workload expected in addition to the work for the French baccalaureate?

We estimate the workload required to be between 3 and 5 hours per week. This estimate corresponds to an average of the total work time of our 15,000 students worldwide. This time includes both coursework and personal work and can be higher or lower depending on the number of credits the student will need to complete in the year.

Do I need special equipment to follow the Dual Diploma Academica program?

The 3 essential tools to follow the courses are a computer with a webcam, a headset with a microphone (indispensable for the use of the English software) and a good internet connection!

For the headset, we do not have any particular recommendation, the important thing is that it has a built-in microphone.

Students will also be using Skype, Zoom, and the Office suite provided in the platform.

Is it better to do the program in 3 or 4 years?

Completing the program in 4 years has the advantage of spreading out the workload as much as possible. Indeed, a student who follows the 4-year program will have only one credit to validate in 9th and 12th grade, while a student who follows the 3-year program will have to validate 2 credits each year.

However, this is manageable. It depends on the student’s ability to organize themselves, whether they have a busy extracurricular life, etc.

Can we start the Dual Diploma program in 11th grade?

Yes, it is possible to start the program in 11st grade, but the workload will be much heavier than for a student doing the program in 3 or 4 years. Indeed, you will have to validate 3 credits per year, which represents approximately 4 to 6 hours of additional work per week. This option is reserved for students who are already bilingual or have a very advanced level of English and a strong work capacity.

Can a 9th grader complete the Dual Diploma program in 3 years?

No, a student that starts the program in 9th grade will have to complete it in 4 years.

Can I continue the Dual Diploma program if I move and/or change school within a non-partner institution?

If this situation arises, the student will be able to continue the program as an individual student. In this case, the fees that apply will be those of individual students. For more information, please contact us via this form.

Is it possible to take a “break” from the program, for example for one year, and resume the following year?

If a student leaves the program voluntarily during the course of study, it will be impossible for him/her to reintegrate the following year.

What are the 6 credits to validate with Academica International Studies to obtain the High School Diploma?

4 major credits and 2 minor credits (called “Electives”) are required to earn the High School Diploma.

The 4 major credits consist of 2 credits of English, 1 credit of U.S. History, and 1 credit of U.S. Government/Economics.

The 2 minor credits are left to the student’s choice according to their tastes and interests. You will find the list of these on the following page (« Description of the subjects studied in the Dual Diploma program »). You can also consult this document for a more detailed description.

What are the Electives credits in the French Baccalaureate curriculum?

The 2 French Baccalaureate Elective credits are determined by the United States according to the subjects studied by the students, on a case-by-case basis. The determination of the subjects will be made among those not already used for other credits and where the student will have the best average.

Why does the Elective College Entrance Exam Preparation require a good level of English?

College Entrance Exam Preparation (College Prep) requires an English II level because it is a particularly demanding subject. A student with a low level of English would be at risk of failing. This course is designed for students who plan to study in the United States after high school. It allows students to prepare for the SAT or ACT exams required by selective American universities.

When do you need to choose your American Elective credits?

A student that starts in 9th grade will choose his or her Electives halfway through 9th and 10th grade.

A student starting in 10th grade will choose his or her Electives at registration and midway through 11th grade.

A student starting in 11th grade will choose his or her Electives at registration and midway through 11th grade.

The “U.S. Government/Economics” course is a year-long course with half credit per subject. How are these courses organized?

United States Government and Economics are each a half-credit.

In the first semester, students take a half-credit: United States Government and in the second semester, they take a half-credit: Economics.

At what time are the live classes with the teachers?

The live classes last approximately 1 hour and take place during the week only, between 6 pm and 9 pm.

We live in an Overseas Territory/country that is not in the same time zone as France. How can I follow the live lessons?

A student residing Overseas must notify his/her American teacher. The teacher will then place the student in a group with an appropriate schedule based on the student’s location. However, some geographical areas are still incompatible with the proposed schedule. This is the case for French Polynesia and Asia.

What is the difference between the “Mandatory Live Sessions” and the “Content-based live sessions”?

Mandatory live sessions are mandatory group sessions that take place 3 times per semester. They focus on current topics, designed to give each student a chance to speak. The topic is sent a week in advance so that everyone can prepare what they want to say. Students meet with their teachers and students from other countries.

Mandatory live sessions are 1 hour long and take place only during the week.

Content-based live sessions are optional group sessions that take place 4 times a semester. They focus on a particular course, depending on the courses taken by the students during the year (English, Elective, US Government…). Although optional, it is strongly recommended that students participate in these sessions as extra credit is awarded at the end of each session. The topic is also sent one week in advance.

Content-based live sessions are also 1 hour long and take place only during the week.

How many students are present during the live sessions?

The live sessions bring together about 15 to 20 students.

Do the live sessions always take place with the same students?

The live sessions usually take place with the same groups of students, available in a common time slot. However, the students come from different countries such as France, Spain, Italy or Germany.

What happens if I am unable to attend a live session?

If a student is not available to attend his/her live session, he/she should notify his/her American teacher as soon as possible. The teacher may then offer the student the opportunity to attend the live session with another group during the same week. In the exceptional case that a student is unable to attend a live session during the week originally scheduled, a one-time make-up live session will be organized the following week.

Do we always keep the same teacher for the entire course?

A student might have the same teacher throughout his or her AIS program, but there is no rule about this. A student may have a different teacher each year, or the same teacher several years in a row.

Are the courses maintained during the school vacations?

The Dual Diploma program follows the American school system. The French school vacations (All Saints, Christmas, Winter, Easter) are not taken into account. Students will have to devote some of their vacation time to their Dual Diploma and may take advantage of this time to advance their studies if they wish.

Is a school exchange planned?

Given the health crisis, this is unfortunately not planned at this time.

What is the level of English required to enter the program?

There is no required level of English to enter the program. However, a basic level will be necessary to be able to pass the admission test: to understand simple everyday expressions, to be able to introduce oneself and communicate with someone on familiar subjects in simple terms, to describe one’s immediate environment.

What is the average level of English during the 1st year of the Dual Diploma program?

The level of English in the first year depends on each student. After passing the admission test, they are placed in the English I, II, or III group. This allows them to follow courses adapted to their level and to integrate the next level during the 2nd year. They will progress continuously.

The English I group corresponds to a level A1/A2.

The English II group corresponds to a B1/B2 level.

The English III group corresponds to approximately a B2/C1 level.

A student who enters the program in English I will be in the English II group the following year; a student who enters the program in English II will be in English III in the second year.

If a student already has a very good level and enters the program in English III, he or she will be in English IV the following year, which corresponds to approximately a C1/C2 level.

What level of English can I expect after completing the program?

Regardless of their level of English upon entering the program, all students will make significant progress. By the time of graduation, all students will have reached at least the level and fluency of an American High School Diploma student. Those who are more advanced at the outset (e.g., bilingual students) will already have reached a university level.

This progression is designed to be smooth, but with a regular work effort of 3 to 5 hours per week. The program is designed to be gradual.

In addition, a student who follows the program rigorously and communicates with his or her American teacher in case of doubt or difficulty will be supported and accompanied at all times.

In terms of English, is this program more advanced and recognized than English certification programs?

English certification programs allow students to evaluate and validate their level of mastery of the English language.

The objective of both types programs is quite different: while English certification programs teach language proficiency and are recognized worldwide as proof of English language ability, the Academica Dual Diploma program teaches students to think, work, write, interact, and debate in English, which becomes for them (this is the objective), a natural language and no longer a foreign one. A student who is already bilingual will perfect his or her command of written English and find and develop his or her own personal style.

When can we enroll?

Registration for the 2023-2024 school year will start on February 2023.

How to get in touch with the program director of a partner school?

The contact information of the teacher in each partner school is available on our Partnering Schools page.

I don’t know my school yet for the next school year. How can I register?

You can register as an individual student. Once you have confirmation of the school you will be attending, contact us as soon as possible and we will switch you to your new school.

How much does the admission test cost?

The admission test costs 60€ and is not refundable.

What does the admission test cover?

The admission test is a 75 minutes MCQ with 60 grammar, vocabulary, and comprehension questions. Students often complete the test well before the time limit, allowing them to review their answers in a calm environment before final validation.

How to prepare for the admission test? Is there any collection of past papers from the admission test available?

There are no collection of past papers from the Dual Diploma Academica program. The best preparation is to work on your English classes, read in English, etc.

We also recommend that you practice for the MCQs, which can be counterintuitive for French students.

There is no need to overwork. The objective of the test is to position students at their correct level – neither too high nor too low. Thus, as long as they stay focused and take the time to think about their answers, any student with a decent level of English should pass the test.

To get an idea of the test content, you can consult the following document.

What is the waiting time between the test and the results?

The admission test takes place in mid-September. You will receive the admission results by email within the following 15 days.

If I fail the admission test, can I retake it the following year?

Yes, it is possible. However, if a student failed the test the year he/she entered 10th grade and wishes to retake the test in 11th grade, he/she will need to ensure that he/she has sufficient work capacity to follow the program, which will be much denser, with 3 credits to be validated each year.